Calgary: North Glenmore Park
Dartmouth: Fairbanks Centre – Shubie Park
Edmonton: Hermitage Park
Hamilton: Confederation Beach Park
Kamloops: Riverside park
Kingston: Rotary park
Kitchener: McLennan Park
London: Thames park
Mississauga: Erindale Park
Montreal: Mount Royal Park
Ottawa: Andrew Haydon Park
Summerside: Summerside Boardwalk
Toronto: Sunnybrook Park
Windsor: Assumption Park
Winnipeg: Assiniboine Park Conservatory
Yarmouth: Ellenwood Provincial Park
Your Support Has a Direct Impact Across Canada
Melanoma is on the increase worldwide. In Canada it is one of only 3 cancers on the rise and is one of the most commonly diagnosed cancers in our youth, ages 15 to 29 years. This year, over 7,000 people will be diagnosed with melanoma and thousands more will be treated for recurrences.
Join Strides for Melanoma Walk for Awareness and help raise much needed funds for melanoma patient support programs, prevention efforts and increased awareness.
“We were so happy to be able to contribute and be a part of the community (so true). And we of course look forward to doing more with the network whenever possible. ”
Jessica Huck – melanoma patient
Just the Facts:
Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. When caught early it is largely curable, but once the cancer has spread to other organs the median life expectancy is less than a year. Frequent skin screenings, early detection and a strong focus on prevention are all necessary to ending the rise in melanoma cases.
Melanoma is one of only 3 cancers with incidence rates on the rise in Canada; there will be over 80,000 cases of skin cancer in Canada in 2016
In 2016, over 7,000 Canadians will be diagnosed with melanoma and thousands more will be treated annually for ongoing or recurrent melanoma
Melanoma is one of the most frequently diagnosed cancers in youth 15-29 years of age
THE MELANOMA NETWORK OF CANADA’S MISSION IS TWO-FOLD
We support individuals whose lives have been changed by melanoma.
We are advancing the prevention of melanoma through advocacy and education.
• We’re providing direct support and information to over 2500 melanoma patients and families and physicians across Canada every year
• We’re providing a unique and first-in-the-world peer support program, ‘Within Reach’, offering innovative peer training for patient support
• We’re establishing Support Groups at major cancer centres across the country
• We’re presenting patient and corporate information sessions across the country with the latest news on treatments and preventative measures
• We’re advocating for drug access and better treatment options province by province and at the national level
• We’re creating and delivering the most current and relevant resource materials on treatments, support services and public education, with over 20,000 booklets, pamphlets and newsletters distributed to cancer centres and patients across the country
• We continue to provide leading edge videos and public awareness campaigns
• And supporting prevention programs for youth through our screenme.ca summer sun safety program for camps to educate Canadians on sun safety and UV protection