Thank You for
Walks Across Canada
Your Support Has a Direct Impact Across Canada
Melanoma is on the increase worldwide. In Canada it is one of only 3 cancers on the rise and is one of the most commonly diagnosed cancers in our youth, ages 15 to 29 years. This year, over 7,000 people will be diagnosed with melanoma and thousands more will be treated for recurrences.
Join Strides for Melanoma Walk for Awareness and help raise much needed funds for melanoma patient support programs, prevention efforts and increased awareness.
Find A Location Near You
Join over 2000 participants in cities across Canada to raise awareness for Melanoma. If you do not see your location below show your support by joining a virtual walk or call 1-877-560-8035 x 103 to start a walk in your area.
Calgary: North Glenmore Park | Donate
Dartmouth: Fairbanks Centre – Shubie Park | Donate
Edmonton: Hermitage Park | Donate
Hamilton: Confederation Beach Park | Donate
Kamloops: Riverside park | Donate
Kingston: Rotary park | Donate
Kitchener: McLennan Park | Donate
London: Thames park | Donate
Mississauga: Mississauga Valley Park | Donate
Montreal: Mount Royal Park | Donate
Ottawa: Andrew Haydon Park | Donate
Summerside: Summerside Boardwalk | Donate
Toronto: Sunnybrook Park | Donate
Vancouver: Horseshoe Bay Park | Donate
Virtual Walk: Donate
Winnipeg: Assiniboine Park Conservatory | Donate
Yarmouth: Ellenwood Provincial Park | Donate
“I am walking with Strides for Melanoma to raise awareness for melanoma, but also to show my gratitude to MNC. My treatment for stage IV melanoma was covered by my provincial health plan because of networks like the MNC advocating for those diagnosed with thedisease. I plan on doing the walk every year for the rest of my life.”
— 29 year old melanoma patient, Caroline Cooper
Just the Facts:
Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. When caught early it is largely curable, but once the cancer has spread to other organs the median life expectancy is less than a year. Frequent skin screenings, early detection and a strong focus on prevention are all necessary to ending the rise in melanoma cases.
Melanoma is one of only 3 cancers with incidence rates on the rise in Canada; there will be over 80,000 cases of skin cancer in Canada in 2016
In 2016, over 7,000 Canadians will be diagnosed with melanoma and thousands more will be treated annually for ongoing or recurrent melanoma
Melanoma is one of the most frequently diagnosed cancers in youth 15-29 years of age
THE MELANOMA NETWORK OF CANADA’S MISSION IS TWO-FOLD
We support individuals whose lives have been changed by melanoma.
We are advancing the prevention of melanoma through advocacy and education.
• We’re providing direct support and information to over 2500 melanoma patients and families and physicians across Canada every year
• We’re providing a unique and first-in-the-world peer support program, ‘Within Reach’, offering innovative peer training for patient support
• We’re establishing Support Groups at major cancer centres across the country
• We’re presenting patient and corporate information sessions across the country with the latest news on treatments and preventative measures
• We’re advocating for drug access and better treatment options province by province and at the national level
• We’re creating and delivering the most current and relevant resource materials on treatments, support services and public education, with over 20,000 booklets, pamphlets and newsletters distributed to cancer centres and patients across the country
• We continue to provide leading edge videos and public awareness campaigns
• And supporting prevention programs for youth through our screenme.ca summer sun safety program for camps to educate Canadians on sun safety and UV protection