Your Stride Can Change a Life
Melanoma is one of the deadliest forms of skin cancer and one of the few cancers on the rise in Canada. Join us for our 7th annual Strides for Melanoma, Canada’s largest walk for melanoma, Sunday September, 23rd, 2018. Your support will have a direct impact in the lives of melanoma patients, help increase the awareness and prevention of this deadly disease, and fund critical melanoma research.
Click on your location to go directly to your walk page
Be a part of the largest walk for melanoma in Canada. Become a volunteer at one of our Strides for Melanoma locations in 2018.
To Learn More Contact Charlene Hally
email@example.com | 1-877-560-8035 x105
Become a Strides Location Leader
More information will be available soon. If you have event experience and are interested in leading a walk please call 1.877.560.8035 x 104
Your Support Has a Direct Impact Across Canada
Melanoma is on the increase worldwide. In Canada it is one of the few cancers on the rise and is one of the most commonly diagnosed cancers in our youth, ages 15 to 29 years. This year, over 7,300 people will be diagnosed with melanoma and thousands more will be treated for recurrences.
I’m so thankful to the Melanoma Network of Canada. I have found incredible strength in the support system that they provide but most of all in feeling like I’m not alone in this journey. My family and I have gotten involved in fundraising for the network through their annual Strides for Melanoma Walk for Awareness, and we have found strength in feeling like we are helping in some way. This amazing walk helps bring in funds for their patient information sessions, support programs, and patient education materials, which have helped provide my family and I with valuable information and support related to melanoma that we could not get elsewhere.
Just the Facts:
Melanoma is the deadliest form of skin cancer. When caught early it is largely curable, but once the cancer has spread to other organs the median life expectancy is less than a year. Frequent skin screenings, early detection and a strong focus on prevention are all necessary to ending the rise in melanoma cases.
Melanoma is one of the few cancers with incidence rates on the rise in Canada; there will be over 80,000 cases of skin cancer in Canada in 2017
In 2017, over 7,300 Canadians will be diagnosed with melanoma and thousands more will be treated annually for ongoing or recurrent melanoma
Melanoma is one of the most frequently diagnosed cancers in youth 15-29 years of age
THE MELANOMA NETWORK OF CANADA’S MISSION IS TWO-FOLD
We support individuals whose lives have been changed by melanoma.
We are advancing the prevention of melanoma through advocacy and education.
With Your Support
• We’re providing direct support and information to over 2500 melanoma patients and families and physicians across Canada every year
• We’re providing a unique and first-in-the-world peer support program, ‘Within Reach’, offering innovative peer training for patient support
• We’re establishing Support Groups at major cancer centres across the country
• We’re presenting patient and corporate information sessions across the country with the latest news on treatments and preventative measures
• We’re advocating for drug access and better treatment options province by province and at the national level
• We’re creating and delivering the most current and relevant resource materials on treatments, support services and public education, with over 20,000 booklets, pamphlets and newsletters distributed to cancer centres and patients across the country