Worried

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi, I’m 37 and new to the forum. It has been a little over 3 weeks that I have been completely stressed out about a biopsy I had on July 27. They told be the results would be available in 3-4 weeks … today I got a letter in the mail saying my appointment is on September 7th! I can already anticipate the next 3 weeks of waiting are going to be worse then the last 3.

This is my first biopsy and don’t know what to expect. Looking over photos from the last couple of years, (which has become an obsession), it seems to have grown from about 2 mm to about 5-6 mm… the color is varied with light brown and some black spots… at this point I think my mind is being irrational because every itch and ache puts me on edge.

Would I feel something specific if it something more advanced? Any advise on what I should pay attention to would help.

Thanks

Annette CyrAnnette Cyr
      Participant

Hi John,
      Thanks for posting your question and sharing your concerns. Most of us can relate to the high level of stress waiting for test results to come back. And worrying about every headache, itch, pain or twitch – all very common feelings, so you aren’t alone or crazy. I suggest as much as possible, try to distract yourself – keep busy and try to keep your mind off of the unknown. We can’t control it, so we have to try to manage how we respond. Do anything that helps to relax until you find out for sure.

I assume you went to a dermatologist to have this biopsied. Good for you to have taken those steps. That is quite a wait from July, but there is a good chance that if it is something, most has been removed already. Most often, if disease is spreading, it will appear with lumps under the skin close by the primary site. SO good to check the skin around there. Also, depending where the site is, they will also want to feel around the areas of the major lymph node basins. Sometimes if there is a spread of disease, swollen or enlarged lymph nodes are another sign. For legs, those lymph nodes are generally in the groin between the leg and the abdomen. Back and front torso – often under the arm pits. Head, around back of the ears, down the neck and around the collar bone.

It is tough to wait – you could always call the office and ask if you could get in earlier or on a wait list. You can let them know how worried you are and that you would like to know sooner if possible. Sometimes if they know you are worried, they will move things up. Hope this helps – perhaps others will chime in.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Annette,
      Thank you for the prompt reply. Your post actually made me feel a bit better… at least until I start panicking again 🙂

For my biopsy I was actually referred to a general surgeon at the hospital. The doctor checked my lymph nodes prior the biopsy and nothing seemed swollen (I keep checking myself ever since and they seem ok). The mole was on my upper back and they were able to extract the whole thing. There doesn’t seem to be any other lumps around it.

Thanks again Annette the info you provided really helped.

Annette CyrAnnette Cyr
      Participant

Hi John – glad it helped a little. Pathology usually takes about two weeks, but this time of year it could take a bit longer. You might want to request a copy of the report for your health files. Always good to keep on hand. Hoping it is nothing and that they feel whatever they have removed is out and gone. But good for you for keeping an eye out and monitoring. Most skin cancers, if detected early, can be effectively ‘cured’ by removal- if caught early enough. Hang in there and like I said, feel free to pester the office to see if you can sneak in before September.
      – Annette, MNC

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi John. I can completely relate, sometimes the unknown is worse than the known.

I just went through this. Keep us posted.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu