Wide excision

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi everyone
      My name is Julia, I’m 32 years old.
      I have a question, I was dx with malenoma in situ a couple weeks ago.. I had a wide excision sx done yesterday, they removed 1cm of skin all around. The scar is pretty big, the surgeon told me I can remove the bundage, but it is bleeding a bit swollen a bit, and looks kinda bruised, I don’t think it’s infected tho. Another thing which I think to be wired is that it doesn’t really hurt, it’s almost like I don’t have sensation there.. going to have the stitches out in 2 wks.
      I just wanted to know about ur expirance with wide excision surgery, how long did it take to heal, extra..
      Thanks for your support julia

Annette CyrAnnette Cyr
      Participant

Hi Julia – so sorry you are having to go through this – and you are so young to be dealing with it. But the the good news is you caught it early. Did you notice it or was it your family member or doctor? Often we notice it ourselves – good for you to have it checked. It will take some time to heal, so best to keep a bandage on for a few days at least. And you may have a loss of feeling there for a while – normal with any surgery. Sometimes the full feeling doesn’t come back, depending on the surgery, but yours should be fine. Most of the topical surgeries don’t hurt that much, so glad you aren’t experiencing pain. Again, it depends often times where it is – some areas of the body are more sensitive and have more nerves. It also always looks really bad at first, but should fade with time. I am sure you were anxious and maybe a bit stressed, which is normal too.

You will have to really protect your skin going forward and keep an eye out for any little pea sized bumps in the area of the primary. The likelihood that they have got it all is really high – 97% or greater, which is wonderful. Hoping you never have to deal with it again. I am sure you will be followed by a dermatologist, at least annually for the rest of your life. Let us know if we can be of further support. I am sure there are a few more people on here who will chime in and share their stories too.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Julia,
      I too had a wide excision in August 2014 down the centre of my back. I looked like I had been corseted by Dr. Frankenstein. Came in really handy at Halloween:) I didn’t find the incision painful but did find the stitches a bit tight but being where they were not surprising. Yes for the longest time there was no sensation around the area but it is all good now. I wish you all the best. Just remember you still have, much love to share, lots to do and places to see. Enjoy yourself and do what makes you happy. You got this!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you so much for your replay Aneette!
      I’m being followed at women’s college by dr champagne ( such a nice dr I was very impressed, I finally felt that my moles have being looked at carefully and thurally, I was always dismissed by many drs for being consurened about my moles).
      I found the mole myself, it didn’t really look like anything serious tho, it was on my upper thigh and every time I looked at it I just thought it looked different than my other moles ( I have so many!) it was small, brown and just a bit red around, also looked a bit inflamed, but nothing serious. I’m also an L&D nurse, so u think that I would know! So I went to a plastic surgeon to have some other moles ( bigger ones) removed, and asked him to remove the one on my thigh, and he agreed with me that it looks dysplastic.
      I had a c/s for my second baby, that is why I thought it was a bit strange that a superficial scar looks so much worse than my c/s scar..
      Thanks again for your support
      Julia

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thanks funshinegirl 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive

After speaking with the surgeon on Monday, it seems like there is nothing further that they will be doing. I see the oncologist Monday but I think it’s more of a formality.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I am sorry for your diagnosis but you are fortunate to have it found at in situ.

I had 2 wide excisions on the side of my head (22 stitches)- initially for insitu and then another re-excision when the final pathology report came back as a .57 mitotic rate 2 (stage 1b). So I had to go back for even more.

The second excision was 2 months ago now and the surgeon did an amazing job and it has really healed nicely. Initially I had thought I may have a bald area on the side of my head however he was able to stretch a lot of skin over so that it is not incredibly noticeable- again only 2 months ago too. Some dermatologists may also recommend some creams as well, so if you are concerned about scarring you may want to look into that.

All the best with your healing.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello Julia,

I haven’t been here in some time and I never imagined not being here frequently with one question or another would ever come to pass. Melanoma as with any cancer is scary, especially following your diagnosis and so many unknowns! I’m sorry you are having to go through this, but happy for you to have found your way to this site! You will find a great deal of resources here and Annette herself is especially wonderful to have here to speak with!
      I was diagnosed Feb. 15, 2012; Stage 3. I’m here to tell you too, while we have so many fears running through our minds, eventually we begin to remember to look forward to enjoying life again, not counting our days but making ever day count! June 6th of this year marked 5 years NED; No Evidence of Disease! Looking back it was hard to imagine 5 weeks ahead and here I am 5 years later and enjoying life at every opportunity!
      Rest when you need, eat well, stay active and take the time needed to heal; physically, mentally and emotionally.
      Be patient with yourself and know it’s normal to question everything. I won’t lie, when I feel a new pain or have a sense somethings off, I do worry. I have a wonderful family physician who has reminded me again and again, if you are unsure, get it checked, voice your concerns. I am now going to my derm once a year as of this June, and see my oncologist yearly as well. I was seeing my surgeon yearly until one year ago; he was pleased with everything and assured me if I had any further concerns he would be there.
      Take care of you Julia.

Annette CyrAnnette Cyr
      Participant

Well said. Thanks for your insights and thoughts Catlyn. I am 5 years out again as of July 13th, but as you point out, never too far from one’s mind. Fortunately it does get easier with time. I continue to be vigilant about checking my skin monthly and wearing sunscreen and protective clothing. Hoping everyone is enjoying the summer months but safely!
      Annette – MNC

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu