So this is my life now

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi everyone. My name is Colleen and I’m not sure what actual type of melanoma I have, but I’m here! Stage 3….. PET scan came back clear, and had the lymph nodes removed in a biopsy.
      I’m not sold on the immunotherapy idea. Seems like the side effects don’t out weight the outcome. Anyone here had the interferon treatment?

Annette CyrAnnette Cyr
      Participant

Hi Colleen,
      Welcome to the forum – it is a great way to connect with others who may be able to offer some insights to their treatment and journey. I am glad to hear your PET scan came back clear – that is good news. The most common form of melanoma is superficial spreading or cutaneous – but you may want to request a copy of your pathology or go on-line at the hospital if they offer on-line patient access to your files. For stage III in Canada at the moment, the only available adjuvant treatment after you have finished with surgery is interferon. It is a tough treatment and doesn’t have particularly good response rates in the prevention of recurrence. There are some clinical trials that stage III patients may be eligible for – you would have to speak with your medical oncologist about the benefits/risks and eligibility/availability. As with any drug, there are potential side effects – some of the new drugs like Ipi (Yervoy), have more potential side effects than others. Others that are on ones like Opdivo (Nivolumab) or Keytruda (Pembrolizumab) don’t have many side effects at all – it varies with each person, but these are pretty well tolerated in most – best to talk with your Onc, as they will be able to advise you on what they think. Others will hopefully chime in and give you their thoughts – but as I mentioned, unless you opt for a clinical trial at stage III, interferon is the only available therapy other than being monitored. Hope this helps!

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu