New and scared

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi
      I am a 45 year old mom to 2 young kids. A week ago I went to a dermatologist for cosmetic procedure and he happened to see a very dark mole on my back and said it looked very bad. He insisted on removing it the same day and not waiting. He didn’t seem positive about this lesion and of course it spooked me. I am now waiting on results, and I am trying to mentally prepare myself.
      I have a few questions and although I realize only biopsy will tell for sure what is going on, I am hoping that someone can shed light on a few questions, maybe they have experience or have had similar situation, or heard from someone else.. I maybe grasping at hope, but it’s all I have for now until I find out for sure.
      My question is about my mole. It didn’t follow the abcde really.. It was very small (2mm), round, slightly elevated and no irregular borders, symmetrical.. the only thing suspicious is the colour as it was much darker than all my moles, it was even coloured black. It was on my upper back in the middle, and I couldn’t see it or never noticed it, so have no idea how long it was there or if it was akways black, but i assume someone would have mentioned it to me or i would have noticed if it was always there. I did see a pic from 3 years ago and i can see it but i don’t think it was as dark.
      I’m wondering if a such a small, pin head size mole with no other features of the abcde except maybe colour or maybe its evolved not sure? Could be in early stages?
      THANK YOU!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi Andia,
      It’s normal to be scared. No-one want’s to believe they have cancer. Unfortunately as much as I’d like to give you the answers you’re looking for only the biopsy will tell. The challenge for you right now is to try and not let your mind go crazy with the thoughts, the what if’s, the why me’s. We live in a great country with fantastic resources and amazing doctors available to us and I never realized this until I needed them. What I can tell you is my story, which does have a happy ending. 2014 diagnosed with Stage III melanoma. My dermatologist was 100% certain it wasn’t melanoma, surprise! So after two surgeries, 25 rounds of radiation, 7 months of interferon and 1 year on immunotherapy (last treatment was July 7th) I am now NED (no evidence of disease). Yes I was scared but I looked at it as though this was my new mission and that I would give 110% to making it through this. I told people I had too much to do, too many places to visit and too much love yet to share. I hope you get a good news from the doctor. Sending you positive vibes.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you for your kind words and I am happy you are NED. That gives me hope. I am very anxious and just looking for some hope that tiny mole is less invasive, but I guess only pathology will tell. Thank you again.

Annette CyrAnnette Cyr
      Participant

Hi Andia,
      Let us know how you make out with the biopsy. As mentioned and as you already know, you won’t have an answer until the biopsy results are back. Waiting is stressful, but try to keep your mind active elsewhere. I am encouraged that your dermatologist took it out right then and there! Honestly, that is what we want to see done. So often it is a difficult thing to diagnose and many times missed. So I am so pleased that it was taken out right away. Even if it turns out to be nothing, which we hope it is, better off than waiting too long. Keeping our fingers crossed for good news!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond to me. I found out my black mole was actually a blue mole or blue nevus. I am so relieved and am thankful. I really do appreciate this forum and sending good health to everyone. Glad we live in a country with a good medical system and hopefully there will be some new advances to stop this disease. I am shocked at how unaware I was, and wish there was more public information as it’s all much more serious than people know. I think of myself as educated and I did not know that this is preventable and now I will be sure to talk to others about my scare. Thanks again.

Annette CyrAnnette Cyr
      Participant

Hi Andia,
      Very good news for you and I am glad we could be of some help. Keep a good watch and do spread the word about sun protection and checking your skin! Stay well and good luck!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yeeha!!!! So, so, so happy for you. Now stay sun safe:)

Anonymous
      Inactive

Great to hear that it was nothing. All the best.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu