Multiple primaries??

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi! I’m Mikaela, and I was diagnosed with malignant melanoma in situ this fall. I’m only 24, and I’ve always been really careful about my sum exposure, so this came as a pretty big shock. I went through a WLE and thought that it was finished- yeah, it was scary, but it was over… Or not. I just found what appears to be a second primary, and my GP thought it was suspicious enough to go straight to WLE without biopsying first. I know that my staging is much more benign than many people on this site, so I feel a bit silly even posting, but I am really struggling with how scary this all is. I guess I just wanted to share my story with people who understand the terror of finding a possible lesion, waiting for surgery, waiting for pathology reports…

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello Mikaela! I’m sorry you are having to be introduced to the world of melanoma, but happy you have found your way to this site. While you are sure to have many questions, fears and wondering how this all turns out, having others to share your story with can be a great help. It is scary going through the diagnosis, then tests, surgery, more tests and possibly treatment. I am a stage 3a survivor; three years since diagnosis Feb. 15, 2012 and completed the year long treatment with Interferon.

You should not feel silly for posting at all. Your struggles are so understood and you’re right, it is scary and it’s hard sometimes to get across to people just how scary it is. Even now I struggle with worries of recurrence and in doing skin checks or having a sense of something not feeling right I immediately think of melanoma. I AM moving forward in carrying on with my life and trying to make plans, but it can STILL be a struggle and I know my daughter often comments that I am “paranoid”. I say just “aware”!
      Take care and be sure to ask your medical team lots of questions, be sure they fully explain things and when you don’t understand ask them what it means. You ARE your own best advocate.
      I’m here if you need to talk, vent or ask anything!
      Big Hug! 🙂

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello my journey started a month ago one mole removed from ankle five inch scar …only stage one lucky they tell me …but i don’t feel so lucky waiting to see dermatologist now cause have many more strange looking moles on my back..is it common to have more then one melanoma at a time is my question ?? Please any info would be great

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello Vicki, I’m sorry you have had to enter in to the world of melanoma but glad to know you have found your way here! Indeed while having found your mole at stage 1, it is every bit as concerning and one still feels less than lucky to have it happen at all. It’s a very good thing to be seeing a dermatologist and have ongoing skin checks also in checking yourself. Your Derm will be very thorough in checking all of you and any concerns you have with particular moles he/she will let you know if any one is of real concern.
      I believe it is rare to have more than one primary melanoma at a time. Having said that I know this is just one of the many questions that begin to fill our minds on hearing any diagnosis of cancer. It’s hard not to think of the worst case scenarios, but really doesn’t help us in our frame of mind and going forward in our healing. I am 3 years post diagnosis; stage 3a, and still find it hard to deal with my thoughts and fears of melanoma recurrence, but going forward and making plans does help!
      I hope you have someone you can talk with in sharing your thoughts and fears; a close friend, spouse, family doctor, someone you are comfortable with and feel at ease knowing they will be a good listener without simply telling you you’re being silly. Your fears and concerns are certainly justified following a diagnosis.
      Try to take one day at a time. Keeping a journal or a blog can really help you work through your emotions; at times a roller coaster! I have kept a blog, which I had begun before my diagnosis and used it much more regularly following such, finding it a great way to talk about it and in trying to keep a sense of humour even if only minimal some days.
      I hope I have helped you in some manner. Keep in touch and if you wish to check it out; http://www.mycanvastopaint.blogspot.ca, 2012/2013 year of diagnosis and treatment.
      Take care. 🙂
      Cathy

Anonymous
      Inactive

In needing answers, be sure to write down ANY questions you have when seeing your dermatologist, doctor, surgeon etc.! YOU are your best advocate.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Menu